Samsung offers Note7 exchanges in the UAE, the HTC Desire 10 is a gorgeous mid-range smartphone, Acer unveils new premium notebooks, and more
It has been another news-filled week for the consumer technology market. Here’s a look back at all the highlights.
- It appears so that Samsung Mobile Arabia is ready to exchange Note7 smartphones in the UAE that has been purchased from another country. The information was confirmed when we approached them regarding if the IMEI checker was valid for the Note7 devices sold in the UAE region. Samsung has an IMEI checker tool to confirm if the Note7 smartphone holds a faulty battery. Users who have purchased their Note7’s from US, or any other region can get their devices exchanged from the UAE. Click here.
- HTC has officially unveiled their all-new HTC Desire 10 mid-range smartphone, which holds a premium design for a pocket-friendly price. HTC has launched two versions of the device, namely the Desire 10 Pro, and the Desire 10 Lifestyle. The smartphones come in four colors-Stone Black, Polar White, Royal Blue, and Valentine Lux. The Desire 10 Pro/Lifestyle comes with a 5.5-inch FHD/HD, LCD/IPS display. The Lifestyle comes powered with a Snapdragon 400 processor and the Pro with an 8-core MediaTek processor. Click here for more details.
- At the annual Middle East press conference in Dubai, Acer launched their latest iteration of slim notebooks, convertibles and detachable. One of them is the Swift 7 which is now the world’s thinnest notebook (less than 1cm). Acer also unveiled other devices such as the Spin 3, Spin 5, and Spin 7 convertibles. Acer also showcased some research numbers, R&D spending, and financial results in the UAE region. Acer will be renaming their entire laptop portfolio so that users will be able to understand the laptop designations easier. Check for more.
- Xiaomi has officially rolled out teasers for the rumored Xiaomi Mi5s smartphone that has been making the rumor rounds for a while. The Xiaomi Mi5 is definitely an impressive flagship smartphone for an affordable price, so we can expect the Mi5s to offer better performances. The launch date is set for September 27th, 2016. Click here
- For all those who love to tweet, Twitter will be removing the character count of attachments such as images, videos, and GIFs, in the 140-limit. This means that users will be able to add more words in their tweets, without worrying about the characters running out. Check report.
- While we are just a few days from the unveiling of the Google Pixel smartphones, word is it that the new devices will come with IP53 badge. The certification classifies that the smartphones will be able to take water sprays or splashes, unlike the Galaxy S7 which can be submerged under water. The new Pixel smartphones are set to be announced on 4th October, 2016. Check out more.
- Although Sony’s latest PlayStation 4 Pro has a beefier GPU than the original, the new turbo-charged PS4 Pro will use an advanced 4K scaling method for 4K resolutions. Meanwhile, Microsoft states that the upcoming Project Scorpio console with 6 TFlops of computing power will be able to output native 4K resolutions, without the need for any upscale method. Project Scorpio is set to be released by the end of 2017. Check out more here.
- WD-owned SanDisk, one of the leading brands when it comes to storage accessories and solutions for PC’s, professional cameras and smartphones, have officially announced the first SD card that can store up to 1TB of data. The new capacity option is aimed at users who are using cameras to record UHD resolution videos such as 4K, and even 8K resolutions. Click here for more.