Apple’s new MacBook Pro has an interactive TouchBar, Microsoft unveils the Surface Studio desktop, Xiaomi Mi MIX is an edge-less display smartphone, and more
This week is indeed a great one in the consumer technology market. Let’s take a look at the best announcements made so far.
- Apple Inc. has finally announced their 2016 versions of the MacBook Pro models, featuring new technologies that will help to change the way you interact with laptops. The new TouchBar allows users to have extra control options while using any application from the main screen. The TouchBar also holds the TouchID scanner for users to make payments for Apple Pay. The new laptops are thinner and lighter than the previous generations, with a keyboard that’s similar to the MacBook, and a larger trackpad. The MacBook Pro will come in both 13-inch and 15-inch models. Users who don’t prefer the TouchBar can opt for the 13-inch model with the traditional keyboard layout. Click here to check more features and information on the new MacBook Pro laptops.
- Microsoft also makes it to the top news with the introduction of their first desktop computer for professionals, an All-in-one desktop to be exact called the Surface Studio. The device features a large 28-inch PixelSense display with a resolution that’s 63% more pixels than a 4K TV. The display also offers a 3:2 aspect ratio. The Surface Studio also comes with a new control input called the Surface Dial that provides users with extra control options while editing an image within the Surface Studio’s main screen. The device comes with the top-of-the-line processors and GPU configuration. Check out more here.
- During the Microsoft event, the Redmond company said that they will be partnering with HP, Dell, Lenovo, ASUS, and Acer produce affordable VR headsets with mixed reality experience for the Windows 10 platform. The price of these headsets is said to reach up to AED 1098. These headsets will come with special tracking sensors that omits the need of external cameras, like the one used in Oculus Rift VR and Sony PlayStation VR. Check out more.
- Xiaomi has announced a new smartphone called the Mi Note 2 which has a great potential to replace the gap left by the Samsung Galaxy Note7 in the mobile market. The device holds a 5.7-inch OLED display with a dual edge design. The processor included is the latest Snapdragon 821 processor with 6GB LPDDR4 RAM and 128GB fast storage. The camera department receives a 22.56MP image sensor with electronic image stabilization for 4K video capture, along with an 8MP front selfie camera. The device is expected to come at a price tag of AED 1900. Check out more here.
- Xiaomi also announced a concept smartphone called the Mi MIX that sports a beautiful all-glass display, 6.4-inch sizes in size to be exact with an edge-less design. Although being a concept, the smartphone is already set to be released on the market soon with features that can compete with the likes of the top smartphone makers. The device is powered by the Snapdragon 821 processor with 6GB RAM onboard. A large 4400 mAh battery is also included in the device. Click here to read more.
- While Microsoft already has a pro controller for the Xbox One, Sony officially announced on their PlayStation blog about their third-party, custom and professional PlayStation Dual Shock 4 controllers, aimed at competitive gamers. The controllers are the Razer Raiju and Nacon Revolution Pro. Razer is already known for their Xbox controllers, the Sabertooth (Xbox 360) and Wildcat (Xbox One) and now the Razer Raiju (named for the Japanese mythical beast) takes on the DualShock 4 controller. It comes with two extra bumpers and detachable triggers, a built-in control panel on the front, custom profile buttons and mic. Read more here.
- The Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) stated that according to the Q2 2016 mobile market results, Samsung, Nokia and Apple mobile devices are the most popular brands in the UAE. The top handsets are Apple iPhone 6, Nokia 108, Samsung Galaxy J1, Apple iPhone 6s, Apple iPhone 5s, Nokia 105, and Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2. TRA also says that Samsung, Apple and Android store apps are the most used in the region. Click here to read more.
- Billionaire and CEO of Emaar Properties Mohamad Alabbar, one of the highest ranked businessmen of Dubai plans to enter the smartphone application market with a new IM application that can rival the likes of WhatsApp. The new application will be fine-tuned for the Middle Eastern region, especially for the Arabic speaking crowd in the city. Check out more here.
- Blackberry has officially announced the DTEK60 smartphone, the second device which comes under the partnership of TCL. The device is basically the Idol 4s with the top-of-the-line specifications on-board, along with Blackberry enhanced software such as DTEK app to secure the device, Blackberry Hub, and BBM. Check out more here.